I know, I know why am I posting about WWII? Because I'm reading this fascinating although disturbing book about a group of 1000 European refugees that were brought to the US. It is written by a women who worked for the Department of the Interior and was sent to Italy to oversee their trip here. I have read other books about the time period (some historical fiction but also Anne Franks diaries and about Corrie Ten Boom) but none of them have disturbed me in quite the same way. The author describes how much the government knew about what was happening under the Nazi regime and how little they were willing to do to help the Jews. Not just our own governement but other countries as well. It blows my mind that beyond the normal quotas of immigrants allowed to come here only 1000 out of millions were "invited" to come to the states. One of the things the author points out was how little most Americans knew about what was happening to the Jews at the time. I can't help thinking if only... At the same time we know all about Darfor (did I spell that right?) and are we really doing enough there? How many other places in the world are suffering and we know nothing or little about it?
I am blown away by the stories I'm reading about these refugees. Stories of families separated, being constantly on the run, starvation and torture. It makes me want to hug my family close and never let them out of my sight. The name of the book is Haven written by Ruth Gruber
You know you live in the country....
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment