Sunday, September 27, 2009

Running again!

I'm back at it and very motivated! This weekend I started training for my 1/2 marathon in February. While running this week I quickly realized that I was definately in need of new shoes. My knees and shins were aching like you wouldn't believe. I thought I would stop by Acadamy (the only local sports store) and try to find the perfect pair. I was armed with my articles from Runner's World about what type a shoe I need for my type of arch and a handy list of their "Best Shoes." While I was browsing an employee stopped to ask if she could help. She was a teenager but I thought maybe at a sporting goods store they had been given some training and she might have a clue what I was talking about if I mentioned stability shoes or cushioning, pronation. I told her I was looking for a cushioning shoe in one of these specific brands so she starts down the aisle and points to this goofy looking all white shoe and says " I just bought these and they are awesome! I just started working out and they are great!" Since she obviously didn't have a clue I didn't feel at all bad about walking away with a "thanks" over the shoulder! Without any further help from the teeny boppers I did find the perfect pair of shoes and will now commence with the running program!
Sometimes I really wish we lived in a bigger town with specialty stores- it would be awsome to be able to walk into a store instead of having to order stuff on line!

2 comments:

Grandma W said...

If you lived in a bigger city then you would have to fight traffic, higher prices, crime, schools that may not be like minded, etc. Personally I like the small town mentality even when we have to deal with the military mentality and their crazy driving. Cove is bad enough for traffic.

Greatmomfish said...

Ditto Grandma W! You can't just run into a specialty store in a big city. It is best to go to the city every couple of months.