Okay so I've seen the commercials put out by the corn growers about how high fructose Corn syrup is not really that bad for you and I think its a little like tobacco company advertisements. "here try this popsicle , really its harmless, what could be so bad about a popsicle?" Well let me tell you! You can read for your self the articles and studies that are on the web I will just give you the cliff notes: Fructose consumption may contribute to heart disease, high cholesterol and interferes with your ability to feel full (which leads to over eating.) It is a highly processed product derived from corn starch and is cheaper then sugar and has a longer shelf life which is why companies use it. You could argue that it comes from corn its safe and some of the studies may not prove a direct link to those above mentioned health problems. For me the bottom line is sugar consumption. Did you know that Americans on average consume 150 pounds OR MORE or sugar in a year! Isn't that ALARMING! About 60 pounds is from HFCS because its in everything! jelly, ketchup, salad dressing, breads, cereal. If its convenient it is probablly in it. I know we are addicted to sugar and the more we eat the more we want it so that is why I'm trying to cut back and eliminate the HFCS and along with it the other sugary foods that sneak into our house. We still have desserts and we still drink sodas OCCASIONALLY (They have loads of HFCS) but were getting use to it and in the process we have been eating more "real foods" like fruits, vegtables and making our own muffins and waffles instead of the frozen kind. (I just freeze extras for those mornings when I can't get it all together.) So here is my rant mostly for my brothers sake!
7 comments:
Agreed, HFCS is not the best option for sweeteners, but to make the leap that canning this little treat is a core defect in the American diet is terribly overstated. In my best efforts to find conclusive evidence "The data in humans are less clear. Although there are existing data on the metabolic and endocrine effects of dietary fructose that suggest that increased consumption of fructose may be detrimental in terms of body weight and adiposity and the metabolic indexes associated with the insulin resistance syndrome, much more research is needed to fully understand the metabolic effect of dietary fructose in humans", Insulin Resistance is a huge problems which relates to the epidemic of Diabetes Fructose does inhibit the release of Insulin which in turn releases Leptin and causes you to feel less full. However the relation to heart Disease and High Cholesterol is more related to a sedantary lifestyle and moderation than the intake of Fructose. AS it goes everything in Moderation. So the fair attack on my stubborness to not bother with the HFCS issues has to do less with my ingnorance and more to do with my focus on the active lifestyle bit than the intake of food, and mass quantities of Calories. Sure once you work on the excercise the calorie intake and the, vegie, protien, and dietary elements you can focus on the sugars but who has that kind of time. If you do congratulations and I am sure you will be better for it. However remember in your haste to cut and eliminate questionable things remember that the athletes we have today are bigger, stronger and faster than ever before. Last I checked we all grew up with Ronald McDonald, difference is we ran in circles to get rid of the waste instead of sitting around blogging.
Thanks for the challenge and good luck with your choices.
Preach on, sister!
Maybe to add some interest to your research - research where corn came from! That is very interesting indeed, when you think it wasn't a naturally occuring plant!
Liz AKA "a mom who still runs in circles and also finds a little time to blog!" =)!
My main point is that we can all change our diet. I just seemed to have different hairs to split in my diet before I get to the sugars. In fact if we are concerned with Heart Disease your intake of Fatty acids (Omega 6's to Omega 3's) and the fats you take in are a better predictor, and show greater benefits than cutting the artificial sugars.
My point isn't to argue just not to jump off the deep end.
I agree with you that sedentary lifestyle choices are definately more of a problem and if Iwas going to start somewhere that would be it but at our house we have already conquered that "hill" and are trying continue to making changes to improve our health. I didn't know you were so informed! I can't deny anything you said it matches what I've read-accept just so you know all my blogging is done after my morning run!
This morning I was mulling over this conversation when I realized we have different priorities, in the name of health. Ask most women what their main health obsession is and they will say weight (HFCS)!
Eliminating HFCS is an easy change to make and probably why one of the earliest things to do in a healthier lifestyle. You don't have to do much research to find the ever present evils and then all you have to do is read a label - probably why all the hype right now - but just b/c it is a popular theory to sport doesn't make it bad, just a little cliche-ish.
Besides that and just to keep the discussion going - when a billion dollar industry hires an ad company to promote how "not bad" their product is for the average consumer, in the always popular terms of "moderation", it makes me that much more stubborn to dig in those heels and say, "not gonna do it! wouldn't be prudent!" (I have watched way to much S&L.)
OK just my thoughts on the subject - now time to go run in circles! (tongue in check smiley escapes me at the moment!)
Liz
good times, I love the effort. I'm not saying the effort to can HFCS is bad or in vain, just not my thing. Ad companies didn't sway me on this one. However I do tend to get excited about random ad campaigns. If canning the HFCS is your gonna do, congrats I'll find a different thing to attack. Plus at this point me being stubborn wont allow any other course.
Still spinning
I love sugar! I am sorry and wish I didn't but I am a sugar freak! I am proud of you Aimee for taking on this challenge, though!
Post a Comment