Monday, January 5, 2009

I hate football.

I haven't always hated it. I was fairly indifferent to it for a long time. Then I got married and over the last five years I have grown to loath it. Not all games- I don't mind going to a live game because usually there is someone to talk to, snacks to buy and spirit groups who entertain you- oh yeah and the game. I do absolutely hate games on t.v. The announcers voices grate on my nerves because they talk incessently over every play and every timeout and every thing. They must have an army of people working for them feeding them all those statistics..."so and so holds the record for ...." " he is only the 8th person to have ever kicked the ball that far...". The game drags on for hours! Maybe I could take it if it was over in one or two hours but how do they drag it out for three and four hours? Then sometimes I realize its not the same game. They switch over to another game before the first was over either because the first was so boring or they are helping husbands trick their trusting wives into thinking they are still watching that all important game. The season drags on for ever too. Preseason must start in like June and they keep pushing back the super bowl farther so now it ends sometime in February but there is probably a post season and then March Madness starts!
Why is every game important? WE don't have to only watch the teams he likes but also the ones he doesn't just to see who will make it to the play offs. AAAAAGGHHH! I have tried not to complain much this year and just learn to occupy myself with other things but this is mostly my blog and I can complain if I want to! I wish I was one of those cool wives who loved football too and could get into the games and look forward to football season but I'm not so don't tell me why I should love it or how I should try watching I might learn to like it- I doubt it and am not willing to give up months of my life to try.
I feel a little better now.

5 comments:

Liz said...

I hate it too!!! Growing up my dad had to listen to the ball game on the way home from the farm. As soon as the announcer started talking my stomach would turn. Ditto to you. See you soon, Love, Elizabeth

Grandma W said...

AMEN sister, preach it. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them will ever agree or read this. I have lived with it for almost 33 years now and it all started the weekend we got married. That weekend was Super Bowl weekend, but did I check the calendar to find out, no because football was not important then and it is still not important. You know on the new TV's there are not buttons to change the channels and all you have to do is control the channel changer. Although that might be construed as a vote for him and a new TV and that it isn't the way I meant it. I am not sure how you learn to like it. Maybe we need to limit the amount of football viewing just like we limit it for our children. After all, what's good for the goose is good for the gander so to speak.

The Scott's said...

I felt truly blessed when Shane and I married and he didn't watch football! I bragged to all my female friends. WELL, now he occasionally watches
(or sleeps through) it. I still hate/loathe/detest/any other strong negative word football. The worst part....it runs late so it messes up my DVR when I tape my Sunday night shows. I am sorry that you have to deal with it. Fortunately, we don't watch it all the time. Praise God for the little things!

eklanica said...

I feel better knowing that others detest football as much as myself. I'm getting better at tolerating it on TV, but Fantasy Football is what sends me through the roof!! Matt is the commissioner of a very serious FF league. It makes me insane. Even the kids complain, "Dad's on the computer AGAIN!!!" Someone needs to stop the madness!

Aimee said...

They should lay off all the football players and use that money to bail out the banks and auto companies then her our poor children and grandchildren wouldn't be in debt up to their eyeballs already and wives around America would get their husbands back!