Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Favorite author?

I just finished watching a movie callled "Becoming Jane" it is about Jane Austin one of my favorite authors. (I just love her characters and the witty dialogue!) I don't know how true to life the movie was but I'm a little sad if it is. (I won't ruin the movie for you if you haven't seen it.) You would think someone like Jane Austin lived an amazing romantic life but.. oh yeah I'm not going to spoil it. It does change your perspective when you find out more about the author. I remember visiting Hemmingways house in the Florida keys and hearing stories about him. I'm not a Hemmingway fan in the first place but then to hear he stuck a toilet in his yard for his over 100 cats to drink from just to spite his third wife it doesn't really make you want to like him more. Or maybe it does I guess it depends on you!
I am not a writer or an aspiring writer but it seems like you would have to write about what you know or pattern your characters after people you know. Your experiences have to come out in your writing somehow. Then there are people like Stephen King and surly his experiences haven't guided his writing!!! Maybe some people have boundless imaginations but I don't think I am one of them. Plus I can't sit down to write this blog without being interrupted every 2 seconds with questions or comments from my peanut gallery- write a novel- ha!
So now here is the interactive part of the blog... Who is your favorite author or what do you know about them?

6 comments:

Liz said...

I watched Becoming Jane and I was sad too, so I researched her life and it is sad! I remember loving Little House on the Prairie until I researched the lives of those involved - it was sad too! Liz

Grandma W said...

Well my favorite author use to be Barbara Cartland. I like reading about imaginary lives and placing myself in the time of kings and queens. Most of them were about Dukes and Lords, but hey. I also like Marion Wells books, Janet Oake and Beverly Lewis. There there is the sci fi side of me and I like Roseberg, Jenkins and LaHaye. I can't say I know anything about any of them except that Cartland died a few years ago. You might remember the list I had of her books and trying to read all of them. I think my library of books speaks for itself on how much I like to read. I am surprised you remember the visti to Hemmingway's house. Of course, thinking about all of those hundred cats still living there and that they have 5 toes is kind of rememberable.

Aimee said...

Since I don't read, I don't have a favorite author, I love you babe!!

B-Rad said...

Reading, wow all I get to read these days are clinicals about Heart Disease and the magic Trygliceride and total lipid effects of Lovaza. When I was able to read much which didn't happen till much later in life I enjoyed things like Kurt Vonnegut, "Cats in the Cradle", Slaughter House-five", or The Catch 22 books I have the both "Closing Time" and "Catch 22" I recomend reading in one block of time they get confusing. As far as the authors, I think when you read these books about big brother and crazy people, or people who go to dark places you are better off not knowing much about the authors. How on the planet do you remember going to Hemingway's house?

Aimee said...

oh, dear little brother- I remember lots of things! Have you blanked out our entire childhood? You will have to lend me some of your books so I can expand my horizons. Mom is my current source so I've been reading lots of books about amish people. I'm pretty sure the ones your talking about are not in the same genre!

B-Rad said...

I went through several wierd phases, which when it started reading in general was wierd. Let me know what your interested in.

As Bigweld says "See a Need Fill a Need"